Hon. John McKay, P.C., M.P., Scarborough-Guildwood
The Honourable John McKay was first elected as Member of Parliament in 1997. He was re-elected in October 2015 to serve his seventh term in the House of Commons. He currently represents the constituency of Scarborough-Guildwood. John is married to Carolyn Dartnell. They have five children, three grandchildren and are active members of The Peoples Church.
- Chair of the Canadian Section of the Canada-United States Permanent Joint Board on Defence
- Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs and International Development
Current Memberships in Parliamentary Associations (2017-2018):
- Canada-United States Inter-Parliamentary Group
- Canadian NATO Parliamentary Association
- Canada-United Kingdom Inter-Parliamentary Association
- Canadian Branch of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Associaiton
- Canada-Europe Parliamentary Association
Appointment to Privy Council: December 12, 2003
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Toronto at Scarborough (UTSC)
- Bachelor of Laws, Queen’s University
- Osgoode Hall Bar Admission Course
- Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of National Defence - 2015 - 2017
- Liberal Party of Canada Critic for the Environment - 2013 - 2015
- Liberal Party of Canada Critic for Defence - 2011 - 2013
- Chair of the Standing Committee on Government Operations - 2010 - 2011
- Senior Member of House Finance Committee - 2004 - 2010
- Official Opposition Critic for Small Business and Tourism – 2008
- Official Opposition Critic for Crown Corporations - 2006
- Chair of the Canada-Caribbean Parliamentary Friendship Group - 2006
- Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Finance, 2003 - 2006
- Chair of the Ontario Liberal Caucus - 2002 - 2004
- Chair of the Canada-Taiwan Parliamentary Friendship Group - 2001 - 2004
- Vice-Chair of the House of Commons Standing Committee on Justice and Human Rights - 2001 - 2003
- Chair of the National Prayer Breakfast - 2001 & 2002
Private Members Bills over Parliamentary Career:
- Successfully sponsored Bill C-293, An Act Respecting the Provision of Development Assistance Abroad and received Royal Assent on May 29, 2008.
- Successfully sponsored Bill C-260, Amendment to Hazardous Products Act (fire-safe cigarettes) and received Royal Assent on March 31, 2004.
- Sponsor of Bill C-300, a bill respecting corporate accountability for mining, oil and gas companies in developing nations - 2009-2010.
- Sponsor of Bill C-474, Transparency of Payments Made by Mining, Oil and Gas Corporations to Foreign Governments Act – 2013-2014.